Business & Finance Manager
Location: Santa Cruz
Job ID: 27614
Despite the Initial Review Date (IRD) passing, this position will continue to accept applications until filled.
UC Vaccination Policy: With limited exceptions, COVID-19 vaccinations are required for Covered Individuals under the Policy. Covered Individuals include all employees, students, or trainees who physically access a University facility or program in connection with their employment, appointment, or education/training.
Covered Individuals do NOT include employees who work 100% remotely with NO expectation that they will physically access any University location or program at ANY time. If 100% remote work ends, the employee is subject to Policy.
ABOUT UC SANTA CRUZ
UC Santa Cruz is a public university like no other in California, combining the experience of a small, liberal arts college with the depth and rigor of a major research university. It's known as an unconventional place where innovation and experimentation is part of the campus's DNA. That playful, bold spirit still thrives today, all on a campus renowned as among the most beautiful in the world.
INITIAL REVIEW DATE (IRD)
UC Santa Cruz staff jobs are posted until filled. Application materials submitted by 11:59 pm on the IRD will be routed to the hiring unit for consideration. NOTE: Materials submitted after the IRD will be forwarded only at the request of the hiring unit. Submit your materials before the IRD to ensure consideration by the hiring unit.
The IRD for this job is: 12-15-2021
Mission Statement: Transportation and Parking Services (TAPS) supports the University's mission by providing access to UC Santa Cruz, acting as fiscal stewards, and managing the sustainable planning, design, and operation of safe and equitable bicycle/pedestrian programs, transit services, parking, and other transportation-related needs.
Vision Statement: TAPS is dedicated to being innovative, sustainable, and customer-focused providers of access to UC Santa Cruz.
More information can be found here: https://taps.ucsc.edu/
Uses advanced professional concepts and organizational objectives to resolve complex issues in creative and effective ways. Works on complex issues where analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth evaluation of variable factors. Exercises judgment in selecting methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria for obtaining results. Contacts are both internal and external to the department at all levels.
The incumbent is responsible for the development, implementation and execution of policy for utilization of financial, procurement and budgeting resources within Transportation and Parking Services (TAPS). The incumbent is the principal staff member responsible for implementation of UC Accounting policies and procedures and is responsible for the financial management for all capital projects, unit budgets and expenditures and development of the unit recharge rates. The incumbent provides financial analysis and support for fee initiatives including Student Fee Referendums and Grant applications. The incumbent provides analytical support for TAPS organizational planning, financial management, business contracts, campus budgeting processes and cost analysis and accounting for personnel actions. The incumbent supports hiring processes and activites in Talent Acquisition Manager (TAM).
Salary Information: Salary Range: $81,600 - $117,100/annually. Salary commensurate with skills, qualifications and experience.
No. of Positions: 1
Benefits Level Eligibility: Full benefits
- Percentage of Time: 100%
- Average Hours per Week: 40
- Days of the Week: Mon-Fri
- Shift Includes: Day
Employee Classification: This is a Career appointment
Job End Date: None
Work Location: UC Santa Cruz Main Campus
Union Representation: Non-Represented
Job Code Classification: 007710 FINANCIAL ANL 4
- 40% Makes recommendations on maintaining and strengthening internal controls to protect University resources. Track & audit expenditures and revenue. Responsible for all the coordination and management of fiscal closing, annual Payment Card Industry (PCI) certification. Serve as campus liaison with campus Financial Affairs and Accounting offices, and Staff Human Resources developing procedures and campus policies. Develop and implement business and management financial goals and strategies that support the University's mission and meet unit objectives.
- 30% Coordinates activities associated with creating, maintaining and reporting on the operational and capital budgets and budget processes, academic and staff budgeted FTE, the performance of financial planning (including problem definition, forecasting, data collection, development of alternative solutions), the performance of human resources FTE planning (position management, staffing forecasting, data collection), development of policy or action recommendations in the areas of budget, finance and human resource planning, and report preparation. Provide analysis and expertise using FIS, FMW, PPS, AIS, POS, UCPath, Talent Acquisition Management & other campus systems.
- 10% Independently, and in response to campus initiatives, develop and recommend strategies for implementation for new financial processes and procedures. Provide financial analytical support for special projects and various committees.
- 10% Represent unit at senior campus leadership meetings (Business Officers, Payroll Representative, TAM, UC Path). May be assigned special projects as needed to support mission critical objectives for Risk and Safety Services.
- 10% Selects, develops, and evaluates personnel to ensure the efficient operation of the function.
- Bachelor's degree in related area and / or equivalent experience / training.
- Advanced knowledge of finance policies, practices, systems, budgeting and reporting techniques, accounting, and bookkeeping.
- Ability to interpret a wide variety of regulations, policies, and procedures regarding all aspects of business and financial management.
- Advanced ability to effectively present complex information both verbally and in writing in a clear and concise manner.
- In depth ability to use multiple spreadsheet and database software tools, such as Excel and FilemakerPro.
- Advanced interpersonal skills at all levels within the organization; advanced service orientation and critical thinking skills; and attention to detail. In depth ability to use organizational skills to multi-task in a high volume environment.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively across the organization at all levels.
- Advanced knowledge and understanding of internal control practices and their impact on protecting University resources.
- Analytical, problem solving, and organizational skills with the ability to develop, implement and administer new programs and procedures.
- Ability to work with a high degree of independence, meet deadlines, set priorities while working on multiple projects with conflicting priorities.
- Ability to deal with changing priorities and direct the work of others accordingly.
- Knowledge of the accounting principles, use of campus financial systems, and cost accounting standards working in a university environment.
- Knowledge of human resource policies, practices, and planning.
- Demonstrated ability to screen and interview candidates, and recommend individuals for hire.
- Advanced degree in related area and / or equivalent experience / training.
- Familiarity with UCSC systems and applications such as FIS, CruzPay, FMW, PPS, CruzBuy, RMS, UCPath, and TAM.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Selected candidate will be required to pass a pre-employment criminal history background check.
- Must possess a valid license to drive in the State of California
- Must be able to regularly stand, walk and sit for extended periods of time.
- Ability to safely perform the physical requirements necessary in storing and moving materials. Lift light to moderate objects up to 40 lbs. with or without accommodation.
- Ability to work occasional evenings, nights, weekends and holidays to meet operational needs.
- Ability to travel to multiple locations to attend trainings both on and off campus.
- Will be required to complete training classes including FIS-Banner, UC Path, CruzBuy, CruzPay, and Data Warehouse System within 6 months of hire.
- Will be required to complete Title IX (Sexual Harassment) training every two years.
- This position has been identified as a mandated reporter under the two California Acts listed below. The selected candidate will be required to sign a form acknowledging the role of mandated reporter, and to report known or suspected child or elder abuse or neglect, as defined by the following: Per the Dependent Adult Abuse Reporting Act: California Welfare and institutions Code, Section 15630 and 15632. Per the Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act (CANRA) Penal Codes, and related definitions, requirements, and responsibilities may be obtained here: https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displayText.xhtml?lawCode=PEN&division=&title=1.&part=4.&chapter=2.&article=2.5
All UCSC employees must understand and follow job safety procedures, attend required health and safety training, proactively promote safety at work, and promptly report actual and potential accidents and injuries.
HOW TO APPLY
Attach your resume and cover letter when applying for this job opening. Do not attach any documents to 'My Activities'. Visit our How to Apply tutorial for detailed instructions on our applicant process.
The University of California is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees.
APPLICANTS ARE REQUIRED TO USE THE UCSC ON-LINE PROCESS
View full job description and access on-line application:
To ensure review of application materials by the hiring unit, they must be submitted on or before the initial review date (IRD) via the Staff Employment Opportunities web site; https://jobs.ucsc.edu. A computer is available at the UC Santa Cruz Staff Human Resources Office located at Scotts Valley Center. The Scotts Valley Center is located at 100 Enterprise Way, Suite E100, Scotts Valley, CA 95066. To learn more or to request disability accommodations, call 831-459-2009. Hearing impaired are encouraged to use the California Relay Service at 800-735-2922. UC Santa Cruz is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees.